Tuesday 9 August 2011

Breaking out of your Comfort Zone

I think there's a time in everyone's life where they get stuck in a rut and don't know how to get out of it. I know it has happened to me numerous times. Everything is a constant routine day in and day out and your life doesn't seem have any excitement anymore. You want to break the routine but you don't know where to start and don't want to step out of your comfort zone.

Through personal experience, I found that breaking out of what I feel is comfortable and safe is really difficult. You become so used to doing things a certain way and exposing yourself to the same experiences that you become afraid to introduce new things into your life. Many people are afraid of change, afraid to take that leap. Fear can definitely hold you back but you don't have to let it.

I became so fed up with being unhappy with my life to the point that I told myself that change needed to happen and it needed to happen NOW. I started with writing down a list of goals and changes that I wanted to make for myself. The list included some of the following: ending toxic/negative relationships, meeting new people, pursuing a career that I am passionate about, singing in front of an audience, doing activities that scare me. After writing down my list, I shortly after started to complete it. Crossing off the items from my list felt really awesome and my life started to be exciting again. The rut was gone and I broke down that comfort zone wall. I felt like I could do anything!

My list of course never really ends, I always set goals for myself and think of changes that I want to make to my life. I try to challenge myself often so that I can push through my boundaries and face my fears. I like a good challenge anyways ;). If you think you are in a rut, if you are unhappy with your life, if you want excitement,  get off your ass and make the change TODAY! When it comes down to it, you are accountable for making those changes, no one else.

Stepping out of your comfort zone is scary but believe me, it is worth it. You can thank me later :)

-Shira :)

No comments: