Wednesday 3 August 2011

Hiking is a lot Like Working Towards your Dreams

Can I first just say again that I LOVE summer?! I just can't get enough!

Sorry - I just had to get that out before moving forward with my post for today.

So today I hiked the Stawamus Chief (near Squamish, BC) with some good friends. Like the sign says when you first walk up to the trail, it isn't a walk in the park. I have done the Chief several times and I am in pretty good shape, but this hike is hard work. Rough and steep terrain up a mountain, doesn't sound too appealing does it? I'm sure there are many people that question why I do this type of "torture" to myself. The sweat, the pain in my thighs, being short of breath (I'm really selling this aren't I?).The reason why I do it is because of the personal rewards that I get including spending quality time with friends, improving my physical fitness and seeing the beautiful views at the top. I don't think I would do it if I didn't get any satisfaction out of it.

While wiping the dripping sweat from my face, pushing through the pain and arriving at the first peak that had tremendous views, a strong realization came to me. In order to truly fulfill your dreams, you have to work hard and get out of your comfort zone. You usually have to go through some type of pain and suffering before you get to where you want to be. Reaching your goals is definitely not a "walk in the park" and you have to be determined and disciplined. All this hard work does pay off when you finally achieve your dreams. Reaching that "peak" is so incredibly rewarding and makes you feel like you can do anything.

After reaching the first peak, we decided to grin and bear it and head off to the second peak. The trail was rough and steep and I did get a little scared at times (I am slightly afraid of heights). Another realization came to me. When you have reached your goals/dreams you still have to work hard and there will always be more goals to achieve. There may be times where you need to go through a rough patch and face your fears. Even if you are wanting to quit, it's important to persevere. It's important because it pays off. When we came to the second peak the view was even more beautiful than the first, it was a bit overwhelming. Continuing to improve yourself and achieve your goals and your dreams is unbelievably fulfilling (and sometimes can be a bit overwhelming).

I am SO grateful for today because I am going through a career transition and these realizations have shown me that my hard work and determination will pay off. I know I will see those breathtaking views very soon :)

-Shira :)

No comments: