Thursday 8 September 2011

Staying Positive

I'm baaack! Sorry for not posting yesterday but my brain just had too much in it and I just wasn't able to function properly :P I'm still a bit wonky today but I have promised myself to blog and to blog often!

Throughout my career transition period there have been a lot of ups and downs. A lot of the time I have been motivated, enthusiastic and giving it all I got. There have been times, however, where I was upset and just really frustrated with the world (I'm only human). I would wonder why things weren't going my way. I would put myself down and get into a very negative state of mind. When you are going through a transition period like I am, I think it is only natural to feel this way from time to time.

Even though I am human and it is ok to sometimes be this way, I realized that having a negative state of mind was effecting my mood and my relationships with my family, friends and my boyfriend. No one really wants to be around a Negative Nancy. Being around this type of person is draining and can cause you to be negative and down as well. When I came to this realization, I knew I had to make a change.

I realized that I am in control of my state of mind and I can change it at any time. If I feel myself moving towards that negative state, I accept those feeling/thoughts and then move towards a more positive state of being. For example  - If say I did not get the job offer that I really wanted, my typical immediate reaction is to get upset and get down on myself. I can choose to stay in that state or I can move away from that and tell myself it just wasn't meant to be and that I will find something soon. Of course, this is easier said than done. You really have to acknowledge and accept how you are feeling and make the decision to change your perspective. If you don't acknowledge your negative thoughts, you will continue to stay in that negative state.

Having a positive attitude I think is really important. People want to be around people who are positive, it is just the way it is. Positive people are fun and often have a smile on their face. Positive people are happy. Positive people are contagious in the sense that they spread positivity to other people. I think it is just a great state of mind to be in.

I think it is crucial for me to stay positive during this period in my life. It will help me stay focused on what it is important which will in turn keep me motivated. If I go to that dark place, I know it will be a downward spiral and I don't want that.

Sometimes I just need to remind myself about the things that I am grateful for and that everything will turn out as it should.

Just typing that out made me smile :)

-Shira :)

2 comments:

Diana said...

Great! You just changed my mood, because I was a bit down of the result of my resent interview.. That made me feel sad.. But thank you for this supportive blog! That is really helpful!!

ShiraG said...

Aww that makes me feel so good Diana. I am so glad that my blog has been helpful for you :)