Monday 5 September 2011

Weddings Galore!

Happy Labour Day everyone! I am so happy summer has not gone away yet. It looks like this week is going to be the hottest week out of the whole summer which is kind of ironic considering everyone is going back to work/school :)

So today's post is all about weddings. I have had the honour of being a bridesmaid for two beautiful weddings this year. I also attended a fabulous beach wedding in July and will be attending two more - one later this month and the other in November.

This year has definitely been the year of weddings for me. I have never been to this many weddings in one year and a lot of people are telling me they will keep coming in the next coming years. It's really kind of crazy how time passes so quickly. I swear it was just yesterday that I turned 19 and marriage didn't really cross my mind. Now I am 27 and everyone around me is getting married. I definitely feel the pressure to get married but I try to not let it get to me. I will get married when I am good and ready, there is no rush :)

This year was the first year that I ever was a bridesmaid so I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I had an idea. When two of my friends asked me, I really did feel blessed and honored but I knew there were would be some stresses that come with being a bridesmaid. I did realize that as a bridesmaid you do have certain duties (not as much as the maid of honour, hehe). I also realized that conflicts can arise between bridesmaids. What I learned from these experiences is that compromises need to be made and more importantly, you need to keep the bride happy.

Along with having my bridesmaid duties, both of my friends allowed me to help plan their weddings as wedding planning is a field I want to gain experience in. I am so grateful that they allowed me to do this as I really did get a good insight into wedding planning. There is SO much planning involved and SO many details to go over. From the seating plan to the table numbers to the transportation logistics. Because of my Type A personality, I created a work plan and schedule for them and made sure they stayed on track. I also helped create a number of items - invitations, centrepieces, table numbers, favours. Planning a wedding can be really stressful and leading up to the big day I experienced first hand some really stressed out brides. Throughout this whole process, I realized that even if you plan everything, something can go wrong. When something doesn't go according to plan, you have to just run with it and accept that not everything can be perfect. This past Saturday, while I was watching the happy couple take their first dance, it all of a sudden hit me that what really matters is that the bride and groom get married and are happy.

I am so incredibly thankful that I was a part of so many weddings this year. I know that each couple found their other half and will have a long lasting marriage. I love you guys!! (I am such a mush :P)

-Shira :)

No comments: